So, ‘Logo Head’ on! You need a new logo/brand for your business and are at (or nearly at) the stage of briefing a designer - if that sounds like you, but you're struggling to formulate exactly what it is you want and need, keep reading...
Below are a set of 10 questions I have put together which should help in crystallising your thoughts as to what you need in logo terms, and will also serve as a good overview for your chosen designer. Obviously every business is different, there may be additional factors which relate specifically to you, but hopefully your answers to these questions will provide a good, solid starting point for your brief.
To make it easier to fill in, I’ve also put the questions into a Word document which is available to download here
1. What is your business called?
2. What kind of products or services do you offer?
3. What are your main selling points? Define the things that set you apart from your competitors and/or other businesses working in similar areas.
4. Who can use the products or services you offer? Provide an overview of your existing clients and any potential new ones you are hoping to attract?
5. Do you have an existing logo, branding or style guide? If so, what do you like/dislike about it?
6. How would you like your business to be perceived? This could simply be a list of words which describe the general look and feel you would like to achieve.
7. Where will your logo/branding be used? Standard usage includes business cards, printed marketing materials, website, social media... but do you have any other requirements? For instance, are there any other particular applications which should be considered –such as a specific shape signage or product packaging?
8. Is there anything you definitely don’t like in design terms? Such as an aversion to a particular colour or type style...?
9. Do you have a budget or timescale in mind?
10. Is there anything else you think should be considered whilst developing your new logo/brand?
If you have yet to find a designer to produce your shiny new logo, then this previous post may also be of interest... '8 Steps to choosing the right designer or design agency for you!'